Hakim Ajmal Khan: The first Chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia – Delhi, once sold his diamond ring to pay due salaries to the teachers of Jamia.
Below is a short biography. His ancestors were known as ‘Rais of Delhi’, a reputed family lived in Sharif Manzil of Shahjahanabad.
Born: 11th of February 1868 (Delhi)
Died: 29th of December 1927
Profession: Physician, Philanthropist, politician, writer, activist, Hafiz-e-Quran and freedom fighter.
1. “Massiha-e-Hind” (Healer of India),
2. Haziq-ul-Mulk in 1908 and
3. Kaiser-i- Hind (a King without a crown) in 1915 for his contribution to the science of medicine.
Literary pen name: Shaida
Literary contributions: Mujalla-i-Tibbia, a monthly Urdu and Persian magazine. Article in Urdu weekly, Akmal-ul-Akhbar for social reform.
1. Indian National Congress
2. Muslim League
3. All India Khilafat Committee and
4. Hindu Mahasabha.
The only person who held presidency of so many diverse organisations.
Founder of :
1. Central College in Delhi
2. Hindustani Dawakhana
3. Ayurvedic and Unani Tibbia College, and
4. The First Chancellor and founder of Jamia Millia Islamia
1. Ajmal Khan Road, Karol Bagh Delhi.
2. Ajmalan-a class Ia antiarrhythmic agent for heart condition.
Below is a hand painted original colour photograph from our archives.